Newtown Township, generally known as Newtown Square, is a township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. Prior to 1789 it was part of Chester County. Including its history as part of Chester County, it is the oldest township in Delaware County. The population was 11,700 as of the 2000 census. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 10.1 square miles (26 km2), of which, 10.0 square miles (26 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.69%) is water. Its villages include Echo Valley, Florida Park, Larchmont (also in Marple Township,) Newtown Square, and Wyola.
Five sites in Newtown are listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
Hood Octagonal School (1842)- the last 8-sided one room school house in Delaware County. Located on West Chester Pike on the grounds of Dunwoody Village.
Bartram’s Covered Bridge (1860)- the last remaining covered bridge in Delaware County (spanning Crum Creek – connecting with Chester County), located at Goshen and Boot roads. Restored in 1996.
Old. St. David’s Church (1715)- the oldest non-Quaker church in Delaware County, founded by Welsh Anglicans; burial place of General “Mad” Anthony Wayne, located on S. Valley Forge Road in the very corner of the Township. In March 1880, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow attended the church and wrote the poem “Old St. David’s at Radnor.”
Square Tavern (1742) – also known as “The Square Inn” and John West House”- the childhood site of famous American painter Benjamin West, restored in 1981 and again in 2008, located at the corner of Newtown Street (Rt. 252) and Goshen Roads.
Paper Mill House (1770, 1845) – mill workers home and general store, restored in the 1980s and now used as museum and headquarters for the Newtown Square Historical Preservation Society. Located at St. David’s and Paper Mill Roads.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,700 people, 4,549 households, and 3,184 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,166.0 people per square mile (450.4/km²). There were 4,690 housing units at an average density of 467.4 per square mile (180.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.16% White, 0.66% African American, 0.07% Native American, 2.30% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.
There were 4,549 households out of which 27.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.4% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.0% were non-families. 27.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 4.9% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 25.6% from 45 to 64, and 21.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 88.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $65,924, and the median income for a family was $82,557. Males had a median income of $61,688 versus $37,319 for females. The per capita income for the township was $39,364. About 1.8% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
Places of worship include St. David’s Episcopal Church, whose graveyard, and buildings begun in 1715, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The graveyard contains one of the graves of Revolutionary War hero General Mad Anthony Wayne. The Newtown Square Friends Meeting House and Burying Ground is the oldest place of worship in Newtown. The original Quaker settlers built the Meeting House in 1711, and then it was greatly expanded and “modernized” in 1791. The architectural ghost of the original 1711 doorway and one of the original windows can be seen in the stone infill in the north wall of the expanded Meeting House. The Meeting House is still in use for worship on “First Day”.
The township is home to the Project Management Institute (PMI), a Lyondell Chemical Company Technology Center, Apple Vacations, USA 3000 Airlines, and the headquarters for SAP America, a subsidiary of SAP AG.