East Whiteland Township is a township in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 10,650 at the 2010 census. Mailing addresses associated with East Whiteland include Malvern, Frazer, and a small area of Exton. Founded in 1704, Whiteland Township was made up of what is today known as East and West Whiteland townships. The first European settlers were Welsh. The name Whiteland came from Whitford Garden in Flintshire, Wales. Whiteland Township was divided into two townships in 1765.
Native Americans called the area “The Dark Valley” because of the numerous trees and undergrowth. During the American Revolution, Gen. George Washington and many of his troops camped at Malin Hall here. They were preparing for a September 16, 1777, encounter with British General William Howe. The Continental Army also camped near White Horse Inn on Swedesford Road. Because of bad weather, however, the “Battle of the Clouds” was never fought.
The Lapp Log House, St. Peter’s Church in the Great Valley, Spring Mill Complex, and White Horse Tavern are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Home to the Great Valley Corporate Center, the township also serves as U.S headquarters to several national and international firms including Siemens Health Services (formerly SMS), Vishay, SCT, Centocor and Aegon, as well as being home to numerous smaller businesses and retail shops. The Frazer Diner is a 1929 diner on U.S. Route 30 in Frazer.
Acme Markets has its headquarters in the township.
The Great Valley School District serves as the public education for the township. The public schools serving the township are Kathryn D. Markley Elementary, Great Valley Middle School, and Great Valley High School. Penn State has a graduate center here, Penn State Great Valley. LeBow College of Drexel University and Immaculata University are located in the township