East Goshen Township is a township in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 18,026 at the 2010 census. The ten square miles of land that is now the township of East Goshen was part of a larger tract purchased from William Penn in Wales in September 1681. Settlers, finding the land beautiful and productive, named the area Goshenville, or “the Land of Goshen.” The blacksmith shop located on North Chester Road was built in 1699. It was here in the early years that wagon wheels were rerimmed, farm implements repaired, and horses shod. As part of East Goshen’s tricentennial in 1982, the blacksmith shop was renovated and restored.
East Goshen Township was incorporated in 1817 when Goshen was divided, forming East and West Goshen townships.
The Goshenville Historic District, Goodwin Acres, and Ellis Williams House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
East Goshen Township owns a 55-acre (220,000 m2) park located on Paoli Pike. Facilities at the park include the Hicks Pavilion with a brick barbecue.
There are areas in the park for sports such as baseball, softball, and soccer fields, four sand volleyball courts, six tennis courts with wind screens and hitting backboard, two full-size basketball courts with additional baskets for shooting around, a 1.5-mile (2.4 km) equipped fitness trail, a children’s activity area, a putting green, and a gazebo.
The park has many passive areas for sunbathing, reading, frisbee throwing, etc. The park is also a popular place for walkers and joggers. It has restroom facilities and water fountains. Parking space has been enhanced and all facilities are planned and installed with the idea of maintaining a harmony with nature. The park closes at dusk and drinking alcohol is prohibited.
The park was named “The Best Family Park” by Best of the Main Line, a magazine that rates the best places and food in the Philadelphia Main Line area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 10.2 square miles (26 km2), of which 10.1 square miles (26 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 0.30%, is water. The township is within the Brandywine Creek watershed. The township’s border with its neighbor West Goshen is Airport Road, next to the Brandywine Airport.